Thursday, January 10, 2013

Friends before Uggs


Mr. BG’s class

Ariana Williams

                                                                                Value Essay

                It would be amazing if everything was free, but it doesn’t really work that way.  These days everything is so expensive and people are greedy.  The price on gas has gone up, the price on milk and other foods are more then what it used to be like when I was a baby.  Some things are priceless in life, you may not know because there isn’t a price tag, but it’s there.  Most people try to value money as much as possible, but as a teenager it’s all about clothes and shoes. 

                Before seventh grade it was all about playing sports with the boys, wearing t-shirts, and not caring about what my hair looked like.  I spent most of my summers outside in the dirt with sneakers on my feet and a glove on my hand.  That’s changed so much!  I love my clothes, and sports are a huge priority too, but I make sure I look good off the court and off the fields.  I look back at old pictures of me and think, “Mom why did you let me go out in public looking like that?” 

                Most memories are priceless and mean everything to me.  A lot of my valuable items are a bit pricey, for example my Uggs.  It was Christmas morning and I was in 6th grade and that was my top gift on my list.  I remember my brother walking into my room then barging into my little sister’s room.  We sprinted down the stairs and waited patiently for Mom and Dad to come down the stairs.  Opening the gifts were the best part, I just love new clothes.  We were down to the last couple of presents and I was getting worried that the Ugg Boots weren’t going to be there.  Finally, my mom hands me over a good sized box with a smile on her face; I destroyed the wrapping paper in less than a few seconds and in my hand was a box, it was glowing.  I popped open the top of the box and I had a big grin on my face.  The fuzzy, beautiful, brown fitted boots were sitting in my little hands, so I slipped them on and strutted in my living room.  Walking around my house was as if I was dancing on a cloud, a fluffy cloud.  Ever since that Christmas, Uggs in the winter are the best present.  We finally had to throw away that first pair, since they were so worn out. 

Some valuable items aren’t even items, they are memories.  What I value most are my memories and blonde moments with a few of my very close friends.  Reilly and Hannah spent a Saturday night at my house since we were all planning on going to a basketball game in the morning.      I was working on my homework when Reilly walked in.  I tried finishing it, but I couldn’t even look at it anymore with Rei singing to me.    It’s hard to concentrate on homework with one of your friends in the same room as you belting out an Alicia Keyes toon!   A couple minutes later, Hannah walked in already in a bubbly mood, and I sat thinking to myself, oh man, it’s going to be a funny night!  The three of us ran upstairs and turned the T.V. on and played Just Dance 4.  We played the songs that involved shaking your booty for Reilly and we played the easy ones for Hannah, but no matter what, I was going to beat them.  After three and a half hours of Just Dance, Reilly decided to teach me how to Wobble.  She showed me once then after that I got the whole dance down with no problem.  Hannah and I were learning how to “Twerk”, another type of dance, but it didn’t go too well.  All of that Wobbling and Twerking made us hungry, so we went down and ate.  Random thoughts were coming into our heads as we sat together eating French Toast Sticks.  For example, Cindy-Lou Who.  In the summer, I saw a girl with a water bottle in her ponytail and her hair was straight up like Cindy-Lou’s.  So I took a party hat and put in on top of my head, bent down and tied my hair up.  Reilly couldn’t believe that it stayed and how ridiculous I looked, but I might have started a new trend.  By the time we were finished eating, all of us looked like we could be on the Grinch!  Cameras were out, flashes were bright and the music was up.  That was how we spent our Saturday night, full of laughs, smiles and loud music.

My priced item is amazing and useful, but my priceless one is what makes me who I am.  I’m a bit shy when you first are introduced to me, but most of the time I’m a happy, loud person and fun to be with.  I express myself with no difficulties with my friends while I’m wearing my furry, brown Australian Uggs.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Ari i reely liked your essay! that was a funny pic and it looked like you worked very hard!

    ReplyDelete